Starting system thoughts

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 13:29:12 PDT

Well gang, today I went outside to play with the gasser deuce. Not much
playing, it won't crank. It acts like the batts are low or like your hot rod

when the timing is too far advanced. Seems to get to a compression spot and stop
turning. I charged the batteries but honestly they were up. Even had it
slaved off the tractor but it just wouldn't spin over. Now yesterday it didn't

crank too fast but was faster than today. Oddly the battery cables aren't even
getting warm. At first I thought maybe the engine was seizing since I checked
nothing before starting it and running it yesterday. It is full of oil and
antifreeze though. Another thing I noticed is that when I release the starter,
the motor spins back like it was up against compression. That leads me to
believe that the motor is not the problem. Moved the timing a bit too but that

yeilded negative results. I'm seriously leaning towards starter problems. Any
thoughts from the masses? I hate like heck to put even a nickle into the gas
engine but I do need the thing to run a bit. Starters are available for
$99. Also, the starter is reasonably saturated with oil.
Any opinions?
Kenny