interesting M38 findings

From: Jim Zehr (jimm1009@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 19:16:47 PDT

I was taking apart a M38 (not M38A1) and I found some
interesting things.
This jeep has the floor board like a CJ2A for the civy
rear seat but the holes in the back have blanking
plates even though they were stamped originally.
It also has the jeep stamp on the front of the tool
box but it is an original um-molested M38.
The only problem is that I don't have the data plate
so I can not pin point the year of manufacture.
The round hole is in the dash and the data plates were
intalled on the removable plate rather than the data
plates being intalled directly on the dash board.
It is still O.D. underneath the peeling top coat and
you can read the tire pressure stencil under one of
the front fenders. Is there possibly a serial number
somewhere on the frame that I could trace to the year
of manufacture? Inquirings minds need to know.
I was going to cut the body up because it way past
being repairable, but I think that I will save it for
a "Chinese Blueprint" for when I reassemble my '51
M38. I still has the footman loops, rifle mount,
shovel holder, and something on the inside just above
the toolbox that looks like it was designed to stow a
round bar of some sort. It has one alteration and
that is a F-head engine which was done very well even
though it is not corrrect for the model.
Just an interesting note since most of the MVs did not
have trade names or logos due to the government
restrictions.
Jim

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/