Re: Urgent: CUCV Smoking, Running rough.

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 20:57:45 PDT

Caleb,

If you have diesel fuel all over the place and especially in the valley,
you may want to check your oil level. If it is pumping fuel into the
valley and that runs into the engine, you could have an oil dilution
problem. Check the level of your oil on the dipstick. If its high, you
probably need to change the oil. That could cause the knocking or
tapping sound either via a bad bearing caused by oil dilution, or the
hydraulic tappets are collapsing since the oil is so thin and causing
the tappets to make noise. Pray for the latter.

Isn't there a big military surplus place in Idaho? I forgot the name.
Perhaps they have a takeout 6.2 injection pump you could swap into it if
you need to? Sounds like you either have a leak or a bad pump.

Compression tests are normally pretty cheap. But they won't find bad
bearings. A good mechanic should be able to tell you the whether you
have a tappet noise problem or a bad bearing.

Dave