Re: Urgent: CUCV Smoking, Running rough.

From: Jeff Gatton (jdgatton@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 04:56:00 PDT

I'm in Saucier, MS 39574...but only a day away by FEDEX.

I didn't have access to a big-arse socket for the injectors, so I just used a
big-arse crescent wrench with good luck. Just be really careful not to break
off the fuel return line hose barbs. Now that I think of it, I may have bought
one in the end. I think it was a 30mm or something. It may not have fit quite
right, or been deep enough. I'll have to check. Auto parts stores usually
have those big sockets for wheel bearing nuts and such. Some times you can
even rent/borrow them.

There is not a cover under the intake manifold...that is the top of the engine
block. The intake manifold attaches to the intake ports of the heads, and
maybe a water jacket hole or two. I looked but couldn't find any pictures of
that when I had mine apart. The valley under the intake has a drain hole at
the firewall end, which drains on top of the flywheel. If it isn't plugged,
your extra fuel there should be draining out of that hole, down around the
flywheel/torque converter, and out of the torque converter cover.

I'm not sure how to get to the lifters, I didn't tear mine down that far. Do
you have access to the TMs? The cam is in the center of the block. You might
be able to get to it under the valve cover, if you are lucky. TM
9-2320-289-20P, pg 2-2 shows a good pic of the setup.

If your IP is leaking, it could also be leaking back into the engine and
thinning out your oil (like someone already mentioned). That could cause you
to smoke if the thinned out fuel/oil was leaking back into your cylinder from a
worn seal/ring, which may not leak with good oil. I'll keep my fingers crossed
for this theory. Check around for a diesel injection/turbo shop, who can
rebuild your IP. There is/was one down here. I have never used them, but have
heard they are good. Someone else on the forum may know where to get another
IP.

Sorry for rambling on so long....

Jeff

--- Caleb Pal <m1009@defcon-3.net> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Like I said previously I ended up driving it to my class. It started running
> rough and smoking, then progressed to running rougher and rougher, and
> shaking, with a tapping noise, almost like a lifter had ate it. How hard are
> lifters to replace? I assume pull the intake and take off the cover under
> there? Do the heads have to come off? I have no tools here at college, they
> are all back home. My insurance company paid to have it towed to a mechanic
> shop, I might go down there any try losening injector lines. I wanted to
> swap the injectors from the left bank to the right, but no one here in town
> has a 1 3/16 deep socket. If worse comes to worse, does anyone have a T/O
> 6.2 near Moscow, ID? I am going to have the mechanic in town look at it, and
> give me an estimate. I normally would do my own work, but I don't have the
> place or the tools to do it.
>
> The smoke coming out was more of a light blue color. It REEKED of unburnt
> diesel, thats what it smelled like to me. Would a bad injector make it run
> that rough, and make a tapping noise? I would pull the valve covers, but I
> don't know if I have enough tools to do it, so looks like I will just wait
> for the mechanic. Getting the valve covers off is such a pain, did it on my
> brothers cucv with the engine out of the truck and it still sucked to do it.
>
> Jeff I might take you up on that offer depending on how things turn out.
> Where are you located?
>
> I really need to get this thing back on the road, I'm going to have a
> hell of a time getting to class without a vehicle.
>
> Thanks a ton guys,
>
> Caleb
> Moscow, ID
>
> Broken 84 M1009 :(