Re: Urgent: CUCV Smoking, Running rough.

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 10:17:32 PDT

Caleb,

I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to fix things that are not broken.
  So it's pretty important that you approach your problem in the right
way. If you checked your oil and it isn't diluted, you fixed your
Injector pump leaks and things are still banging or ticking, then do a
compression check. Don't just tear into the engine, that would be a
costly mistake.

Check the price of gaskets for that engine and you will see why. I
spent $200 on a head set and a valley set for a 6.9 Ford diesel last
week. Just got the head back on yesterday. Parts for diesels are
expensive! The 6.2 gaskets are cheaper than the 6.9 Ford, but don't
spend money and do "repairs" that are not required. Don't pull off the
heads and intake unless you have reason to do so.

I'd compression test that engine before I took off anything beyond the
injection pump.

BTW, Rockauto.com has pretty reasonable prices on 6.2 diesel gaskets if
you need them.

Also, did you know that NAPA will give you a discount if you have a AAA
card? I just found that out last week. I think it is 5% or something
but that pays for tax.

Dave