Re: DUKW For Sale in Northern CA

From: bruce C. Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 08:36:22 PDT

This turns out to be a really nice APC whicvh has been well maintained
and has a relatively new engine.

Can't post the picture, but see text below. Don't know anything about
this, just forwarding the folowing .
Bruce MVPA 23824

By SALLY MORRIS
It runs good, can crash through trees, lumber over cars - even float on
water - and Trinity County supervisors are hoping someone will name a
price for the county’s only armored personnel carrier, or they will sell
it for scrap.
The military surplus, full-track, armored vehicle was a gift to Trinity
County 15 years ago from the U.S. Marshal’s office in response to an
incident that occurred in Lassen County where a sheriff’s deputy was
shot by a constitutionalist militia group in an open field and later
died. Others at the scene could not retrieve the fallen deputy before he
died because they were also being shot at. They figured if they’d only
had an armored vehicle, the man might have been saved.
As a result, the U.S. Marshal’s office gave away military personnel
carriers to a few counties including Trinity, but it has never been used
here. The Board of Supervisors last week agreed to declare the vehicle
surplus and authorize its sale.
Undersheriff David Laffranchini said the sheriff’s department feels it
is acceptable to surplus and sell the vehicle, but warned the
supervisors “we can’t find anyone in government with any record of the
transfer of the vehicle. There was no paperwork attached with it, so
there’s no guarantee there won’t be a claim on it if you sell it.”
Board Chairman Howard Freeman wondered if research aimed at clearing the
title would be “throwing good money after bad, and who buys these things
anyway? Militias? What keeps a piece of machinery like this from falling
into the wrong hands?”
Laffranchini said he doesn’t know and it was a good question, adding
“there are some background issues.” He said he would attempt to contact
other counties that may have also received vehicles like Trinity’s to
ascertain whether any others came with documentation. He noted the
vehicle does have a vehicle identification number.
“It must be heavy — if no one wants to buy it, we should sell it for
scrap,” said Supervisor Roger Jaegel.
Supervisor Wendy Reiss said there are military vehicle collectors “who
might surprise you and offer more than we’d ever expect.” She added that
she appreciates the concerns about not having clear title to the vehicle
and she would like the undersheriff to find out “if there are others out
there. I would not like to see us run over by this.”
Jaegel said he would be OK with that as long as the investigation takes
no more than an hour of the undersheriff’s time, and he included that
direction in the motion he made to declare the vehicle surplus and offer
it for sale. The motion carried by unanimous vote.
The estimated value is $10,000. Laffranchini said the vehicle had a new
engine when it came here and has been maintained by the county
transportation department. Top speed is about 30 miles per hour, and the
operator’s manual says it will travel six miles an hour on water, “but
I’ve never tried that,” Laffranchini said.