Re: DUKW turns out to be an APC, Trinity County, CA

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 15:22:23 PDT

So a Sheriff's Department in the state of california does not need a vehicle
title and registration?

Bet there is a law that says they do.

Fifteen years and no papers.

A person would think they would need the paperwork to sell or scrap it too.

Wonder who held the Form 97? Was there an End Use Agreement?

I'm sure someone would give them $100.00. They provide a bill of sale, pay all
shipping related fees to a delivery point of choice, and agree to pay any and
all legal fees incurred (before, during ownership, after future sale or
transfer) related to ownership of this vehicle.

Maybe the US State Department needs to review this.

..."can crash through trees, lumber over cars"...

..."What keeps a piece of machinery like this from falling into the wrong
hands?" ...

>> perhaps it may already have been in the wrong hands.

..."the vehicle does have a vehicle identification number." ...

>> Even it the vehicle did not have a VIN and if the data plate were missing,
there is quite possibly a number somewhere on the vehicle hull, the powerplant,
or a component that can be linked to a paper trail. But it might take more than
an hour to find it. Wouldn't we love to be there in fifty years when the US
Government comes looking for their missing property.

Supervisor Wendy Reiss seems to be most intelligent. Perhaps a promotion to
Sheriff or County Commissioner.

Claude.