Gama Goat/Jeep Swap?

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Sun Oct 23 2005 - 11:39:44 PDT

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. :-)

I have a running M561 Gama Goat that I never drive. In fact, I think
it's been about 2 years since the last time I started it. I've wanted
some type of military Jeep or MUTT for a while, but I don't want to
spend the money on one right now. That has me wondering whether anybody
out there (particularly folks near southern California) has a US
military Jeep or MUTT of comparable value that they might like to trade
for an M561 Gama Goat.

The trade could be contingent on my replacement of the batteries,
checking out the brakes and fluids, and whatever else is necessary to
unwind the last couple years of neglect. I would characterize the Goat's
condition as "running, ugly, needs cosmetic restoration". It would
include some NOS parts such as a cab soft top kit, a new tailgate (as
well as the old rusty one), and a surf shield kit. It has a clean
California title and is registered as a Historical Vehicle. I have not
yet mounted the license plates, because I haven't gotten around to
finding a clean, non-destructive way to mount a lighted license plate
bracket. This goat has a tear or two on the hull, and thus is *not*
ready for swimming at this time. I don't have any recent pictures of it,
but will take a bunch if anybody is seriously interested in a trade.

I'm probably not interested in selling the Goat for cash at this time. I
would enjoy restoring it at some point in the future, so I'd prefer to
just hang on to it unless I get really strapped for cash. Still, I think
I'd actually drive it a few times a year if it was a Jeep or a MUTT and
I'm not really strongly attached to it, so I'd consider a trade for
something else that's interesting to me. If I do decide to just plain
sell it in the future, I'll give y'all first crack at it before I stick
it on eBay.

My previous inquiry about a deuce/Jeep trade was met with deafening
silence. Maybe my crazy Goat/Jeep idea will make more sense, because a
typical Goat is worth more and less common than a typical deuce? I won't
hold my breath. :-)

P.S.: I'm still trying to unload a running, load-tested MEP-018A 10kW
gasoline-powered genset. If you're interested, please email me and/or
head on over to my trade list on my web page for details.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/