Re: 1-pin NATO slave plugs?

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 13:52:01 PDT

bruce C. Beattie wrote:
> You may run into a problem here. I know that on the installation kit
> they warn you about
> altering the connection between the cube and the battery connections.
> The other lead from the
> solar pannel to the cube is not a problem, they even include a splice kit.
> You may need to do some research on the battery connection. The
> impeadance may be critical.
> I don't know for sure.

Thanks for bringing that up. My gut feeling is that the fairly short
segments of very heavy wire between the slave connector and the
batteries shouldn't make any significant change in the net impedance
from the cube to the battery, considering the 3 foot section of 18 gauge
wire coming from the cube. I gather that high impedance is worse than
low impedance, because of the high-frequency pulses that the cube makes.
Thus, I figure that reducing the cube's output wire to a few inches
long, then connecting through a few feet of heavy battery/welding cable
ought to work better rather than worse. What do you think?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/