Re: Speaking of alternative fuels:

From: ygmir (ygmir@onemain.com)
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 19:01:02 PDT

Mr. Bloom,
the oil lamps used by the Romans worked more like a candle.The wicks were
just open to the air, and, the oil wicked up and burned open.
 The lamps I'm assuming you are using are for Kero, pretty much only. Liquid

paraffin will work, too.
Olive or vegetable oil will burn, but, since it's not a volatile as kero,
etc, it'd probably really soot your lamps and air, if it'd burn at all in
those lamps.
Of course, you could have lit the candles , forgot the lamps,and, rubbed the

oil all over eachother, like the Romans........
Then it wouldn't really matter if the lamps, or lights, worked at
Good luck,
Henry