Urgent: CUCV Smoking UPDATE

From: chris case (chriscase@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 08:07:14 PDT

Mine had a broken valve spring when I drove it off the base. Napa part, fits
lots of GM's.

I bought it knowing the batteries were missing, so I brought along a
borrowed pair. No key, so I had to change the lock right there- Auto Zone
was 1/2 mile off base. Took me 4 hours to get it running- like crap.
Banging like a bad bottom end. Test drive in the lot showed brakes,
steering, and tranny good. So, I drove my car home to get another driver,
and came back. When I got back, there were a couple guys with 5th wheel
trailers, loading up a couple other M1009's. I wonder what the other buyers
thought, not knowing I had been there all morning working on it, when I
drove up, hopped out of my car, into the Blazer, started it up, and drove
away... On the way off the base, the fire fighters polishing their truck,
looked up at the noise and made the sign of the cross....

Anyway, a bad intake valve/spring will make a diesel run like crap- not only
does that cyl lack power, the fuel-filled charge blows past the valve and is
sucked into another cyl, to detonate way early, trying to push the piston
down. Very hard on power, as well as the rest of engine. I drove it 35
miles home, boy was it clattering. I figured the engine was toast already,
and every mile I went was $2 of towing saved. Fixed it with a $3 valve
spring. Later upgrade to HMMWV arctic pump made it run like a champ. Its
for sale now...., in San Diego.