Re: WWII DC3

From: flyn3nvt@adelphia.net
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 16:34:43 PDT

 Ok, to fill in.
Back in the mid 80's. There was a freight company that was based here in Burlington that operated DC-3's for cargo. All were ex Military C-47's but one. They took that airplane and added the freight door and beefed up the floor for freight. All the ex C-47's were researched by my father and then painted in there former WW2 markings. I believe 7 total were painted. The one that has been on EBAY was one of these airplanes!! My father did the research and painted it in the markings. I tried to e mail the owner but got no response. Well most of these airplanes flew freight for a FEDEX contract for several years. My uncle being the director of thier maint, and my father as a part time co-pilot. I was a hangar rat there for many years. Even going on a couple of overnights to hartford conn. I got to ride in my fav of the fleet. N54NA. She arrived to the states to Burlington for the 1st time since leaving early 44. She had 2 drops on june 6th with the 441st Troop Carrier Div. and again for operation market garden. She stayed with lend lease to the danish airforce where she stayed complete with navigators table and all her ww2 radios and troop seats until arriving in the USA for her frieght duty.
The company went out of business in the early to mid 90's. Some of the airplanes headed into a derlict state in bennington vt. N54NA was destroyed in a crash landing after a engine failure in NY, being flown by her new owners.
  Some times you can find pics of them if you do some digging on the net. Here are the airplanes that I can remember

N52NA
N53NA
N54NA
N56NA