SMOKEY M54

From: STUART BEENEY (stuart.beeney@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 13:58:45 PST

Dear list,
              I'm about to give my M54 A2 Multifuel a major overhaul and one
of the jobs I would like to tackle is to try and reduce the amount of black
smoke that comes out the stack when changing gear. I've been told its just a
matter of overfueling but I'm not 100% sure. The history of the trucks
engine goes as follows. After owning the truck for 6 months I noticed that
the engine oil level was rising gradually after running the truck back and
fourth from shows. I eventually pin pointed the problem to a knackered
injector pump which was allowing fuel in the oil and into the sump. The
injector pump was replaced and this cured the problem, I also had all the
injectors checked , tested and cleaned and no6 was found to be damaged so a
new injector was purchased. After all this was corrected the truck seamed to
be more powerful and a little bit less Smokey. I have now run the truck for
a further 2 years and the smoke has improved but still isn't as good as the
M35s owned by my friends.

Another problem that sometimes happens is the fact that when I accelerate
heavily I.e going up the gears quickly after ive changed from 3rd to fourth
it will accelerate for 2 / 3 seconds lose power suddenly then it come back
as quickly as it went. Basically its the same as you putting your foot hard
on the accelerator lifting off for 2 seconds and then putting it back down
again.

If anyone has any ideas what to do or what it might be it would be great to
hear from you, thanks in advance.

Stuart