RE: E85 in a deuce, an experiment

From: Marc Strangfeld (mjstrangfeld@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 22:14:47 PST

Glenn

E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Some new cars
can use it, not sure which ones. When I filled up E85
was $2.43/gal and #2 diesel was $3.42/gal.

Bjorn

I was just as surprised as you to see my email in
Military Vehicles. I forgot I sent John that email
several months ago and never even intended it for use
in the magazine. Not that I care. You deserved the
praise then as you still do now.

On the E85, I read a report on an experiment in which
a N14 Cummins was run on a 15/85 ethanol/diesel blend
and the report stated basically no performance
difference and no adverse effects on the engine. Of
course they were running straight ethanol and they
knew what they were doing as far as logging the data.
I just went "what the hell, why not" and hoped for the
best. I will dilute my mixture to about 15% ethanol
and see if the cold starting improves.

On the biodiesel, I made a 5 gal. batch but have yet
to wash it and run it in the truck. I'm still
traumatized by the fire I started in the driveway so
my mass producing of diesel fuel is on hold for now.
I never would've guessed a propane turkey cooker
cranked out that much heat...

Marc

http://farechase.yahoo.com