Robustness of the M105 trailer

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 16:42:02 PST

Well it finally happened: While I was at work, an adult female drove a car
with a male minor passenger in it down my street, and don't ask me how, but
swerved right into the M105 trailer (dropped crack pipe or eye liner?).

The direction was opposite the trailer's direction, and they caught it
right after the wheel, in the bed 'frame'. Actually, they may have scraped
the lug nuts on the hub, as I found a shard of metal from their car on one
of them. No tire damage I could see. alot of small glass. Well the CARC
coating on the nuts probably needed cleaning anyway and now I will have to
paint over the scratched paint on the side of the trailer. There is one
little edge of metal bent, this is, if you look at the trailing edge of the
wheelwell, a simple non-gussetted section about 2" long. I think a big
pliers, a couple of steel blocks, and hammer will fix it.

Their car, on the other hand, suffered the front fender, door, rear quarter
(the whole side of the car was ripped open -by my lug nuts? what else is

low enough to tesr up a small car?), all the glass on that side, a tire,
and the windshield. Somehow they managed to get it moved and probably
hidden down the street before I got home, but the neighbors told me who it
is and described the car. I'll go looking tomorrow morning. Maybe get a
picture if I am lucky.

It's amazing what a 2600 lb trailer with the wheel brakes locked can do to
a 2600 lb car with an idiot behind the wheel. Come to think of it, having
the wheel brakes locked was probably a good thing, and prevented the
trailer from 'following through' with the car, which could have caused more
damage or increased the possibility of injury to the occupants. I also have
it chained to the telephone pole which kept it from moving further, but I
think I will remove that chain for the time being. it's not strictly kosher..

There is of course plenty of room in the street. The full size fire truck
routinely passes by without even slowing down.

So now we wait to see, will they sue? how interesting it may become. I am
certainly not responsible for someone else's negligence. I am sure Gulfway
would maintain that stance in any case -and perhaps countersue for a CARC
paint job.

more later

PJ