Re: repair compresser tank

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 22:09:27 PST

The only way you can repair that correctly is to have the section with
the pinholes cut out and a patch welded in. Have the rest of the tank
inspected for internal pitting, etc. Then you need to hydrostatically
test the tank. You need to fill it just about full of water, then pump
it up to about 2X the normal pressure, with water, and see if it springs
a leak.

If you need to pay someone to do all of this, it is probably cheaper to
just buy a new tank or find another one. I have a compressor tank that
is dated 1945 and it is still going strong. Was a railroad compressor
at one time and the tank shell is very thick. Much thicker than the
tanks you can buy now.

Dave