Re: STE/ICE

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 15:35:55 PST

Well, everything and nothing.....

    I bought a brand spanking new one at Gilbert. Complete with all the
transducers and other things in the top tray that are usually missing. It

had only been out of the transport case to be calibrated a couple of times.
    The most pointless test it can do that I see is you can hook the tire
gauge gismo onto the low pressure transducer and plug that into one of the
cables and hook the STE/ICE-R onto the vehicles battery and TAA DAA!!! You
got yourself an $8K tire gauge. But ya need soldier A to put the gismo on
the tire valve and soldier B to flip the 2 dials to the proper test code and
then push the 'TEST' button for each tire and read and record the display.
(Must have been a Democrat doing a make work for that capability???.....).
    Has a bunch of plumbing adapters to hack into pressure and vacuum lines
so the high and low pressure transducers can be put in line to measure
pressure or vacuum. Clamp-over type amp clamp for current flow
measurements. You can also put an adapter on the end of your tach cable to
read RPM of your vehicle. If ya got one of those honking big plugs known as
a DCA (Diagnostic Connector Assembly) like your CUCV has under the dash, you
can plug the tester in to draw power and do a couple of tests involving
batteries and starter, and oh yeah, power your tire gauge!
    Certain vehicles with a DCA have a Vehicle Identification (VID) number
that you put into the STE/ICE-R and there are tests stored in the STE/ICE-R
memory that uses all those little pins in the DCA. Like tranny pressure or
flow in a Bradley that has transducers in the tranny and engine that tell
ya what's going on with out pulling the power pack.
    Without the 2 transducers, the amp clamp, the RPM pulse tachometer, and
a current calibration, ya got a difficult to use VTVM. With all the fittings
and gizmos, you can check compression, pressure, vacuum (from -15 to 1000
psi), frequency and current, and IC ignition systems. AND TM
9-4910-571-12&P, Operator' and Organizational Maintenance Manual including
Repair Parts and Special Tools list for Simplified Test Equipment for
Internal Combustion Engines Reprogrammable (STE/ICE-R) because ya can't
download it from ETMs online
    But it looks real cool.
    Oh, did I mention that the whole shebang in the transport case weighs
around 60 lbs?

    Ronzo