Re: hats or caps - as in fatigue - Castro - Ridgeway

From: Sonny Heath (sonny@defuniak.com)
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 05:13:27 PST

I was on active duty when the Army went from the flat top cap to the soft
one. I remember being glad that the change was made. I was a mechanic in
Mannheim, Germany at the time. We were required, naturally, to have that
cap on anytime we were outside, which included the motor pool area. Imagine
trying to keep up with that thing all day long whether you were under the
truck, in the engine compartment, in ythe cab or in the cargo bed. I kept
one which I wore while at the motor pool and another for all other times.
That wire ring was forever getting bent, and then it looked like crap. Being
the strac soldier that I was the soft cap was a great improvement. While not
on your head you simply pulled it up through your belt and it was out of the
way, get bent, no problem, it'll straighten right back out when worn. Now I
wished to hell I had one to wear when in a military vehicle, which is almost
daily in my case.

I heard NOTHING of a cap controversy.

Sonny