Re: gas and fuel costs

From: Kirk Thompson (mosen_temp@mosen.net)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 19:16:42 PST

Technically:
The way I understand it is simply supply and demand.

Fuel oil, Diesel, and kerosine (listed in order from lower grade to higher)
are actually by-products of the different stages of the molecule cracking
process that makes gasoline. These fuel oils are actually not intentionally
made. Gasoline is what is desired to be made in the refining process and
since diesel is really just a by-product, when there is a strong demand
(more vehicles using diesel) and there is not a large supply (because if

there is plenty of gasoline, you don't need to make more and therefore no
more diesel is made), it drives the cost up.

Personally:
I think we are getting screwed by Big Oil. Record profits for the last 10+
years and 2005 being the best in history.

Anyone, please correct any mis-statements or dis-information.

BTW, 2 weeks ago it shot up to $3.66 in Los Alamos area in NM and has now
settled at $3.09-$3.17. Like I heard myself say last week.."Wow, $3.15 a
gallon. That's a good deal!" I think I have been de-sensitized so
~$3.00/gal. actually looks good.

I am earnestly looking into the self-manufacture of biofuels...

-K