RE: gas and fuel costs

From: G Shaw (milspectruck@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 08:15:57 PST

An additional point to add to Ryans excellent post is that you are all
forgetting that oil products as well as the crude itself have been
*commoditized* in that they are no longer sold or controlled by the
producers themselves any more than gold is controlled by the gold mining
industry or orange juice is controlled by the farmers. All of these
commodities are controlled by the traders at the NYMEX. The prices are
subject not only to real supply and demand concerns but also heavy
manipulation by the traders on the MERC acting for hedge funds, pensions
funds, instituional buyers etc. The traders can push the price up or down
wildly and it has nothing to do with underlying actual supply and demand.
The profits for the oil industry are roughly the same 7% that they always
were. The final gross profit number is just higher due to the price of the
raw product going from 28-70 bucks. The issue is very complex with a lot of
big money forces at work to make a killing not just the oil companies who
are their own worst enemy by doing things like shutting down a refinery for
maintenance when there is a supply crunch. They deserve the blame for part
of the problem but the largest force setting price now that OPEC has
essentially become irrelevant is the traders and hedgies at the NYMEX.

Eventually as China and India take over the worlds economies, as the EU and
US go under they will control all the worlds oil for the most part because
they will pay any price for it, and can afford it due to artificially low
costs of production. They will produce the vast majority of all
manufactured goods and will charge what they want for them as they drive
competition into bankruptcy. We will no longer be able to afford oil or
cover our ballooning deficits as our stupid consumers increasingly are
happy to buy everything they can get their hands on made in Asia. Yes they
are saving a buck today to screw some poor American or European working man
and his family but it will all catch up with us. The world is not going to
be a better place in the future for our kids.

Later