Re: gas and fuel costs

From: grntrks@juno.com
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 18:55:41 PST

Sonny,
With all due respect, here is what I found out from many sources.
1. Owner/Operators ( of the 18 wheelers, Doesn't apply to O/O's of small
hot-shot rigs ) are being paid a surcharge for the cost of fuel above a
bench mark price per mile.

2. Some large trucking companies are collecting the surcharge and buying
their fuel under contract at lower prices. I read of one national company
that made several million dollars in fuel surcharges alone last year (
2004). The fuel was contracted prior to the rapid price increases of
late, so the contracted price remains valid.

3. The smaller trucking outfits ( say 1 to 4 rigs, etc. ) are shutting
down or selling out. I know of 4 operations personally so you won't be
talking to these O/O's at the truck stops 'cause they aren't there
anymore.

We shut down in Feb '05 'cause we couldn't sustain the cost of fuel plus
$600.00 per month insurance just to run intrastate LTL freight.

I buy my fuel ( diesel ) just like everyone else and had to do the same
when in business, I'm just not on the highway as many miles as before. I
do not know of any LTL , independant trucker with 1 rig that gets the
surcharge unless they are leased to a company. Joe Shannon hit the nail
dead on.

Frank Cox
Vietnam 1966, USAF
MVPA 14530