RE: Korean war casualty count and related

From: G Shaw (milspectruck@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 18:40:27 PST

Hi Everette
I don't know where they are getting all this stuff. It doesn't sound like
the same war where my Uncle Bill was in the Pacific on Bouganville, Tarawa
and some other toilets in the Pacific with the US Army, or the European
campaign where my cousin Fritz was. Of course the fact that he was with the
German Army may have had some impact on the stats, not to mention that he
was on the Eastern front and was in active combat long before D-Day and all
the way until the fall of Berlin as the lines moved back west. I do know
from their first hand stories was that a lot of guys went through hell for a
long time on both sides. Not 40 days. Both Bill and Fritz have said they
really treasured any time they got on R&R.

I think that they must include all the Rear Area support guys in the
percentage. For every combat infantryman it takes X number of rear area
support personnel. Yet these men and women are all part of the campaign.
Accountants have a way of making figures tell whatever they want. Mark
Twains comment comes to mind :) Front line units pretty much were in the
shit most of the time as they fought and walked across Europe in the
campaign. If you were front line infantry on either side you were in combat
constantly except for the rare R&R. Both Bill and Fritz survived the war
but I thinlk the "greatest generation" is very fitting when you think about
what the world went through 1939-1945. They should not publish things that
seem to diminish the extreme sacrifice these soldiers made, which is how I
would take what the History Channel does with this. I wish todays media
would stop trying to revise history.

Glenn