Re: M1022 vs M1022A1 container mobilizers

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 23:20:59 PST

Ryan Gill wrote:
> I think the containers stayed the same width, the civilian ISO
> containers are taller at 8'6". As I understand it the new M1022A1 are
> able to handle 8' and 8'6" containers with the upper part able to change
> height. The A1 model pins the shelter from the side at the bottom and
> from the top at the top of the shelter. Rather than hooking in from the
> side. So the clamping mechanism
>
> You've looked at CDK's page on the M1022A1 right?
> http://www.cdkmobile.com/m1022.htm
> http://www.cdkmobile.com/container_transport.htm
>
> They've got a video of a mobilizer being connected.

I hadn't seen that. Thanks! I don't have the Real player installed to
view their video, but there's still a lot of other useful information there.

Their page says that an optional 8.5-foot lockout brace set is needed
for the 8.5-foot containers, so even if I found an M1022A1 I might not
be able to use it without finding or making that brace set.

> You should be able to find 8' tall containers. Check with the container
> sales people they might have some 8' tall units somewhere.

Well, I already have three 8.5-foot (I think) containers that I don't
want to replace, so I'm stuck with them.

I got a suggestion off-list that a large forklift works well for moving
20 foot containers around. Does anybody out there have a mil-surplus
rough-terrain forklift that's large enough to lift and move a
lightly-loaded 20 foot container that they'd like to trade for my M561
Gama Goat? Those big Pettibone RT forklifts are pretty cool... :-)

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/