Re: Sandblasting/Data plates/Advice ?????

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 10:39:16 PST

When I did my sandblasting, yep, I removed them. Did the drill out and
replacement bit.

If you're doing your own blasting -

1. Too much compressor will just barely be enough
2. Use plenty of water traps
3. Pressure pot is better
4. Find a source for KleenBlast, Black Beauty, etc. They're safer than sand,
and cut as well or better. (Your lungs will thank you too)
5. Wear clothes you don't care about, or a bunny suit. Duct tape ankles, and
wrists.
6. Ideally, wear a powered air helmet. I got mine from Ebay...
7. Anything you don't want blasted, remove. If you can't remove it, I use
multiple layers of duct tape, but in a pinch a good masking tape will work
too - but you'll need more of it.
8. Duct or masking tape off all openings. This will make sure that the grit
that gets into the space you're just taped off will pour out in a satisfying
manner once you remove the tape. (just kidding, but tape off openings,
remove sensitive gear, etc. It'll help with keeping the grit out of areas
you don't want it in, but believe me, no matter how good you are at taping
off - you'll see grit coming out every so often for year, from the damnedest
places)
9. Have additional tips handy - even the tungsten gets chewed up pretty
fast.
10. Pick a nice clear day with, ideally, very low humidity. I blast under a
10'x10' pop up canopy so I don't sweat to death in the gear. At least as
much.
11. Try to pick a day when your neighbours aren't around. :)

Greg