Re: I STILL don't get it re: easy 5-ton question

From: Dave Sofio (dave.nfesc@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 22:11:27 PST

Thanks, Sean, J, and all the others who helped incrementally. My slim
experience with duallies (a passenger-size tow-truck, my old Iveco van,
my Dodge RAM) never suggested to me that there was a more advanced [or
at least harder-to-disassemble] system out there.

The missing bit of communication was a good description of the Budd
lug: the "cap nut" (indeed this is the manual and parts book
description) is more like a threaded...er...condom...threads are inside
and out, so it completely COVERS the inner stud, thereby allowing the
rounded shoulder to push/retain the inner wheel to the "real" stud...so
it would never have occurred to me that the "real" stud is actually
smaller and hidden within the cap nut.

Sean Nichols sent me a GREAT photo of a lug complete with ID labels, key
thing being that it was shot at such an angle that the threaded hole in
the "condom" is visible (unlike the shot I'd found on the web). I don't
think attachments can be accepted/visible on the list, but I did get it
directly & it explains things perfectly. I needed this explanation to
understand and be prepared to deal with this away from home soon, since
on the road I am an Army of One/can't rely on soldier #2 to help!

Mahalo,

Dave

J wrote:

> [...]
>> I could get them off manually at the remote (flat) location where I'd
>> planned to do the wheel-swap. I only brought minimal tools to the
>> remote, flat location to do the wheel work...that didn't get done...
>>
>> To all who wrote:
>> To be contrary, TM 9-2320-211-10 (OPERATOR'S MANUAL FOR TRUCK, 5-TON,
>> 6X6, M39 SERIES) page 3-42 ("3-14. Wheel and Tire Replacement") makes
>> no mention of removing studs or of using square-drive for the purpose
>> of wheel replacement. Why not, if this is indeed necessary?
>>
>> Not that I think this is a conspiracy to see if I will actually
>> remove the studs for no reason...(you wouldn't all be that
>> cruel...could you?) but I do wonder if this is a model difference or
>> some such, compared what everyone else is familiar with, especially
>> now that I am looking at the documentation. To remove the Budd
>> lugs, I'd first have to go buy something to drive the square-ends of
>> the studs. Then to do the work, I'll again have to go drive the
>> truck somewhere that's got room and somewhat flat, where I will not
>> have any surprise-tool-needs nearby, nor compressed air, and sure
>> don't want to get into that unless it's a sure thing and I'm fully
>> equipped.
>>
>> Wheel removal method is not 100% clear even from the manual. In the
>> same section, the manual states: "([step]8) Remove cap nuts
>> ([item]6) to remove inner wheel," (note: says "nuts," not studs, Budd
>> lugs, etc., & no reference elsewhere to removing studs, square-drive,
>> etc). Big problem with that particular instruction is the adjacent
>> illustrated item [6] cannot be seen, as it falls within a sea of
>> black ink that once was a drawing of the tire and rim... it didn't
>> reproduce well in the electronic version, so I am not sure what they
>> are describing. Other drawings in that section might or might not be
>> using that same item number, and they are pointing to what look like
>> ordinary lug nuts. I'd expect that if studs are to be removed there
>> would certainly be mention of it, considering the level of detail on
>> other tasks in this section. And when looking at them, I can see no
>> evidence that the studs even COULD be retaining the wheels.
>>
>> The attached is a photo of a Budd lug (not mine), not necessarily
>> identical to those on the M51, but looking a lot like what one lister
>> described. From this also, I can't see how removing these would
>> release my inners. Is this not of the type y'all are describing?
>> A section-view or exploded view of the dual-wheel and hub assembly
>> would sure be worth 1000 words...or I could actually just explode
>> mine and be done with it...
>>
>> Mahalo,
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> J wrote:
>>
>>> Dave,
>>> Sooner or later you're going to need a bunch of tools from Harbor
>>> Freight or elsewhere. One of them is a socket set that includes the
>>> 1.5 inch hex socket and the 7/8(or whatever it is) square drive
>>> socket. These are standard items for all big trucks. The mil uses a