Re: CDL

From: Bruce Kalin (convoy@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 06:52:35 PST

Hi Everette,

I guess I'm the only one on the list who seems bothered by this, so I am
going to apologize in advance to everyone who feels I am in the wrong -
Yes, everyone.

Everette, I am confident that you, and many like you would certainly get
their CDL if possible, and could pass the exam without difficulty.
Unfortunately, this is not always or, often the case. How many drivers
out there use this loop hole of "recreational vehicle" to avoid any
driver training at all, and get behind the wheel of a rolling death
trap? We've all seen these people driving small vehicles, knowing they
are an "accident waiting to happen." Now, they've bought a 10 ton truck
for less than they paid for a used pickup, and away they go. They have
no clue what the difference between air over hydraulic vs Maxi brakes
is, and could care less. Not only aren't the drivers required to have
appropriate training, the trucks often only require self inspection,
which is a joke if DOT doesn't do spot checks on them. So, you have a
driver without training, behind the wheel of a vehicle without an
inspection.

Why is it that I feel alone in seeing this as setup for disaster? Maybe
it's because I've seen too many accidents on the road that should never
have been allowed to happen. Maybe it's because of the 18 wheeler that
drove over the top of a car that was stopped in the Maryland toll booth
several years ago, taking the drivers head and shoulders off just before
I pulled up behind them. Or, maybe it's the bus drivers, doing 75 mph on
the parkway in the snow, and then driving off the road, killing some,
and injuring many others. Now, these vehicles were supposed to be
inspected, and the drivers properly licensed. Does it add to the risk if
the safety precautions of proper licensing and vehicle inspections are
not in place? I don't know. Maybe it's because I have family and friends
that drive cars that can fit under the bumper of of a deuce. Ok, sorry
for ranting, drive on.

Again, I apologize to everyone on the list who feels I'm over the edge
about this, and that it really shouldn't be a concern.

Merry Christmas,

Bruce Kalin

--
Bruce Kalin