Halftrack

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 07:27:34 PST

> Anyway I was impatient and wanted to get the track off and I remembered
> seeing a war time factory picture of a half track lifted by a crane. I
> noticed the track hanging loosely. I decided to jack up the rear frame of
> my half track and was pleasantly surprised to find the track fall loose of
> the entire roller assembly. I just pulled the track off with a little
> effort.

Ooh, that's a sweet deal! Well, I've got to get in there and do brakes and check all bearings and seals so mine is more than just removing and replacing tracks and rollers, so tearing everything down by the numbers is going to be the way we're gonna go.

Of interest, and among the many little things that need to be dealt with while we're in there, is, one of the giant 'u' bolts that holds the drive axle tube against the saddle on the frame is a bit loose and the axle tube isn't fully seated. It's not going anywhere, but it isn't quite right and where it ought to be. At a glance, there is absolutely no way to get to those nuts to tighten that 'u' bolt while the track is on.

Still, I'm looking forward to getting the job done.

TJ