Re: Used cooking oil

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 00:52:09 PST

Thanks Bjorn

I read a lot earlier postings on this matter and I found all of it to be
useful. Many thanks. I do have one question. In the winter time I don't
drive as often and I'm concern about algae build up. What do you recommend
to prevent this?

Sonny, Steve

I do filter the oil before using it. I basically filter it twice. I use a
pasta strainer that fits perfectly on top of a 5 gallon bucket. I line it
with two layers of paper towel. In the center of the pasta strainer I also
place a reusable coffee filter. I pour the used cooking oil into the
reusable coffee filter which is the first layer that catches all the cruddy
stuff. As it passes through that filter is spreads out onto the paper
towel. The UCO then seeps through into the bucket. I found that it's best
to let is sit a day to let any settlements that got by settle to the bottom
but I've done it all the same day too. You'll probably need to change the
paper towels often because as the sediments build up it slows down the
filtering to the point where it almost comes to a stop.

The next step I place a paper coffee filter in a mesh strainer. This sets
up on top of a funnel which drains into a gas can. Before I start pouring
though I heat the UCO up a bit to about 100~120'. I do this for two
reasons. Heating it up helps evaporate any water that might be in the oil.
Also, a paper coffee filter is much finer than a reusable. Heating the oil
up a bit make it thinner and helps it pour through the paper filter a little
better too. Again, you will need to change the filter often as sediments
build up. After you're done, the oil is pretty clean.

Once I have 5 gallons, I load the can into my HMMWV. When I go fill up my
tank I dump the oil in first then put the diesel in. As the weather gets
colder you'll need to warm up the tank a little bit before pouring. Usually
I just put it in the front seat floor and run the heater. I sometimes leave
it in the back of my SUV where the sun does a nice job of keeping it warm.

About every 3rd or 4th tank I run straight diesel with "Diesel Kleen" fuel
injection cleaner as a kind of preventive maintenance. I'm not sure if this
is necessary or not but I figure I'd do it just in case.

As for performance I found than my engine runs much better with the UCO. It
runs much smoother and seems like it's almost 10 decibels quieter. As for
power I've been told that UCO has a higher cectain than regular diesel and I
should get a little boost but it hard for me to tell. It's not any worse,
that's for sure.

I haven't used any Bio-diesel with my vehicle so I can't comment on that.

I hope I've provided enough info for those who ask. If not, let me know.

Darrell