Fw: speaking of GPS.....

From: Kenny Reed (kreed@pintoeng.com)
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 10:22:55 PST

i am a surveyor so i have some inside info about how good you can get with
gps now-a-days. I know that our equipment made my trimble can get to 0.001
feet of error. in real time. which means that after 3 mins you can know to
that tolerance where you are in the coordinate system and datum that you are
on. we use state place coords. for our jobs which is a lot different than
county g.i.s. systems and even u.s.g.s. coord. systems. there are literally
100's of different systems of coords. in the US. The gps technology out
today is very good for horizontal like i said 0.001 ft. but the elevation is
the weak point of it. all in all it is very very good stuff. we can
stake out 335 piles in two days which would take at least a week with a
convention gun and prism. but that is only if you are out in the open.
trees and overpasses are killer to the signal you get from the sat. but at
65,000 for a used demo unit you are better off paying someone 1000 or so to
do whatever work you need. i

Kenny Reed
1968 M35A2 W/W, Whistler
Hopefully Ring Mount and .50 cal soon