Re: Driving - a privilege

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 17:35:27 PST

Well, you were doing Ok until you got here:

> If in incorrect, I'd like to see where driving a
> motor vehicle is listed as
> a right in an amendment to the US Constitution.
> All of our "rights" are enumerated therein. If
> it isn't there it's not a
> "Right".
> As I understand, that's the document that gives us
> what rights we do have in
> this country.
+++++++++
This is wrong, read #9 and #10, we have rights NOT
enumerated in the Constitution, also our rights are
not assigned as to which goes where, to the states or
to us.

The Constitution protects those specific rights but
doesn't remove those not listed. The right to travel
isn't listed, nor is the right to privacy.

I might add that the seperation between church and
state isn't listed either,..... at least not
specifically.

The driver's license convention started in NYC in the
early '20's when there weren't enough people driving
to matter or to protest. It doesn't date to the
Constitution, they had no actual authority to do it,
they just did it. By signing for the license you
agree to obey that whole body of laws, that's the
agreement you enter into.

My point is, I wonder what convention we'd have come
up with if the idea of a freedom to travel had been
properly considered. Just as, at this point, many in
government think we DON'T have a right to bear arms,
and will put forth ANY argument, real or imagined, to
back their point.

Does this have anything to do with owning HMV's or
other private property?

Joe

> Just as sure as the Second Amendment to that
> document guarantees those
> rights.
> Not the Armed Forces, not the local or state cops,
> or the newspapers, or
> definitely not the politicians , but the 2nd -- is
> the final guarantee.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com