CARC

From: jhooah (jhooah@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 07:38:01 PST

Sent this out it never reached, but still on topic (unless a dog licks it)

Item: CARC AMATEUR RADIO REPEATER? RCVR-MTR RT-1523 (c) U NEW (5844538305)

The CARC warning was put there to let the operator know they could clean it after it was covered in chemicals like Mustard and VX from a CBRN attack. Other (earlier) paints typically hold micron level contaminates in their outer layers, or would actually melt away leaving the equipment to rust under exposure to the DS-2 that would be sprayed on it for DECON (decontamination). So anything that recieved the NEW "resistant" coating got the CARC stamp, especially radio gear, as it was transferable amoungst newer painted and older painted vehicles and you needed to know what WAS painted CARC and what would need to basically be destroyed (lingering contaminant levels) after an attack VS attempting to clean it and think it was safe for use.

Just what would dried CARC chips hurt what inside you before they passed through the other end? Can't enter the lungs in "Chip" size....
It's basically polyurethane paint, so the same warning should be on every can you get from WAL MART (Rustoleum). Don't inhale/ingest the paint, it coats the lung lining and doesn't go away. Sanding the dried stuff is a dust hazard, not a bonding lung coating hazard like the fresh paint, and as such requires dust level PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).

Poor guy was offering a radio and recieved an A-- Chewing as being irresponsible???
Seems a little too protective to me, but I guess that's the rule of everything anymore.

The high voltage electric shock from the antenna poses a greater risk....a much better warning there..

Back to CDL statuses so I use my delete key. (those posts seem tame by the CARC scolding)

Remember, you did ask for an opinion....
W Winget (20 of my 23 years in CARC service)
Merry Christmas

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX