Re: Clarification 2

From: Sonny Heath (sonny@defuniak.com)
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 09:41:46 PST

I have one of those $200,000.00 RV Toters, only I built it for under
$40,000.00, so I'm somewhat familiar with what you're saying here.

I wrote Timothy Smith a private email explaining how I use my motorhome and
32 foot gooseneck to go to shows and I asked his opinion if I, in his
opinion, seemed to be legal or was I maybe borderlining on illegal, can't
remember my exact wording and he hasn't answered my email. I wrote a couple
of reminders in case he may have lost it or was busy or something and still
haven't heard a word from him. I hear so many stories I don't know whom to
believe. The State employee who inspected my toter and registered and
titled it said that his work was only for the RV and if I ever were to pull
a trailer with it DOT might have questions so I asked him what kind of
questions and he wouldn't give any specifics.

I was stopped once in Iowa for, so he said, a light out on the trailer and
while talking to my wife and I and reading my registration and checking my
CDL he said "I realize that you're an RV but you do fall under certain DOT
regulations" I asked "which ones would that be sir?" he said "just certain
ones" now, what kind of an answer is that from an LEO who is wasting my time
on the side of the road where any fool would know its not safe? He gave me
no paper for the light problem, I checked them at my next stop and they were
all functioning as ther were designed to. He must have asked me ten
different ways if I ever sold anything at these shows I frequent. I finally
said to him "Officer I don't know how many more ways you're going to find to
ask me if I sell at the shows I go to but the answer will be the same, I do
not sell anything, I'am a collector" I know we could do better than that.

I've had others to tell me that its only a matter of time before I'm
required to go through the same checks that a trucker who is hauling for
money goes through.

Sonny