Re: speaking of GPS.....

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 15:55:07 PST

MV wrote:

> Ahh you are right. They sell mapping products. I did purchase one of
> their cheap GPS systems for use with my laptop while on the road. It
> was $99 and is pretty amazing for the $. It has saved me a lot of wrong
> turns.

No question GPS is a very neat thing. But what s good enough for mapping is not for
property bounds.

> Although your property may be surveyed accurately, I wonder how far off
> the master stakes are that were used to survey your property. A lot of
> them were driven a hundred years ago or so??

This area was surveyed and landmarks set in the late 1950 by USGS, so I'd expect them to
be very good.

> So what exactly is the point of being within .01 feet? My joker
> neighbor put a fence on the property line after I moved in and he used
> 6" posts (.5 feet) and electrified it with an electric fence charger.
> Get within 1/8" of that and things start to get a little tingly.
>
> Dave

A neighbor built a brick garage that was about 2" onto our family's land. We made him
remove the encroachment. Getting a good survey is essential, IMO. BTW, that was before
the days title insurance was common. It cost him a bundle.

-John