REPLY: M16 "enhancements" allowed ??

From: Cliff S (mtnbikinssgt@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 09:09:39 PST

Ohhh, now your all gonna get me going again for whats "used out here" and
"what kind of armor is on what trucks" kick again arent we...........anyone
remember the armor battle last year?????

Weapons..........NONE ARE ALLOWED BUT WHAT IS ISSUED TO THE SOLDIER (OR
MARINE). PERIOD. If you are caught with anything else, its a violation of
Geneva Convention rules. Same rules apply to Ammo. If it aint issued, it
aint good. (legally).

I know that is not the question you asked, but just to cover myself BEFORE
it gets said.

Now, as for the question........He is a driver of a 30,000 lb, 16ft tall, 6
wheel drive- go anywhere truck......It is a bunker on wheels, it is the
safest place to be, as is the Hummer that I drive here. I would rather be
stuck inside it, than tramping around trying to make a fight. I will take
my 9,500 lb bunker to fight him!!!! As long as he (your son) is inside it,
he has no need for any weapon attachments.

Lets see what I have, and I will tell you how I feel about them.......92F
Baretta, I think its a "good" weapon, but definitely not a "knockdown"
weapon......so I am a better shot with it, to make them stick in the right
parts of the badguys. FMJ rounds dont help either.

M16A4.....another decent weapon, definitely NOT big enough caliber. FMJ
rounds just bounce off stuff. I have a High Watt Flashlight on it, great
for telling the enemy where I am, visible for miles.....I have a AimPoint
sight for it, great in point-and-shoot scenarios. Terrible for any aimed
shots. Though I can get a 3 inch group at 300 yards, but then again I
havent been in a firefight making groups like that either. Point and shoot
is about all the AimPoint is good for, house to house is great, but then
again its a long weapon, pistol is used for Houses. I have a PEQ-4 (?)
lazer/night sight on it also. Great if your using night vision, shows a
direct lazer to the target, great for a point-and-shoot again, but not a
real accurate piece either. All sights have to be adjusted for them to work
properly, and maintained for proper accuracy. I talk about accuracy for a
reason. We beat our weapons up, even as nice as I care for mine, its does
get more wear than anything you can imagine being put in a gun case and in
the trunk/backseat/or rack in your auto, its still gonna get knocked about,
and out of sight allignment.

But back to your question. Whats allowed........Almost anything is allowed,
considering your gonna be buying it, if you have the cash go ahead and get
anything. But he will get some stuff out here, so you may just want to wait
it out and see what is given to him first. All of mine is issued. We have
a few Holographic sights with us, we have scopes, we have some pretty good
gear, if that is what you like. Also depends on the shooter, How good is
your son with a M16???? If he cant shoot in the first place, it aint gonna
help him. If he is a good shot he may just prefer the Iron sights and what
he knows.......who knows.

Recommendations........Anything is better than nothing.......back to the
allowed question......remember, your buying it.

I think the only thing I would get is a lazer for my M9, I have seen them
and they are nice, grip mounted lazer.

I hope this helps and doesnt confuse you.

SSGT SMITH CN
USMC MITT, 1ST BN, 3RD BDE, 7TH DIV
NUMANIYAH
APO AE 09331