CUCV Problems Fixed + Tires

From: Caleb Pal (m1009@defcon-3.net)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 19:59:39 PST

Hey guys,

I haven't posted here in a long while, college is keeping me rather busy. I
have done quite a bit of work on my M1009 over Christmas break, and thought
I would update everyone. First off, this summer, I replaced my tires, they
were stock 31X10.5X15. I replaced them with BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, in
32X11.5X15. No rubbing problems I have noticed, except when I really get the
rear suspension moving, the tire will jam against the inside of the wheel
well. You really have to have a lot of suspension travel to make it do this.
Otherwise, they are great tires. The truck preforms very well offroad now,
with a slight increase in on-road noise. I have noticed the front tires have
worn on the outside more, because of the tight turning radius of the M1009.
They are claimed to last longer than other offroad mud tires. They look
great on the M1009, and preform great.

    The second thing I have been having problems with is hard starting in
the mornings. Stu recommended I replace the fuel pressure switch, which I
did before this previous summer. It helped some problems, but it got
progressively worse. I had replaced the glow plugs with AC60G's last winter
also. I noticed that if I parked the truck on a hill, facing up, it would be
very hard to start. The injector pump was leaking slightly out of the
throttle shaft, which I believe was the cause of this problem. Last week I
took off the injector pump, and exchanged it at the diesel shop for a
rebuilt pump. I also replaced the injectors, again with rebuilt ones. I
dropped the fuel tank, checked over the dip tube, and made sure everything
was squared away there. I replaced all rubber lines between the bottom of
the tank and the injector pump. No problems since. Starts up fine in the
morning, even parked uphill. It has more power, and runs better than it did
before. Problem solved $650 later. Moral of the story, the fuel pressure
switch is a good place to start, but there could be other deeper problems.

Caleb