Re: CUCV Problems Fixed + Tires

From: Caleb Pal (m1009@defcon-3.net)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 21:17:38 PST

Hey,

Yes, I believe it was air in the system, thats all I can think of. I think
it was getting air in, when parked in certain positions. If I pointed the
nose downhill, anything but level, it seemed to make it go away in most
cases. Also, if it was below 1/2 to 1/4 tank, it would be hard also. I think
it had to do with how much the fuel in the tank was helping push fuel
forward. When it had this problem, it would catch, die, then require more to
a lot of crankin to get her to fire off. I would replace the fuel filter,
fuel pressure switch, and all the rubber hoses you can. If you notice fuel
in the intake galley, where the injector pump sits, you might have the
problem I did. Cracked rubber hoses, and bad fuel pressure switches can
cause starting problems. Some people have put electric fuel pumps in line. I
personally like to make it work how it should, and not bandaid it. The
advantages of a electric fuel pump are great, no cranking to prime fuel
filters, etc, I just never liked modifying things and going that route. Also
make sure your glow plugs are up to snuff. I replaced the stock ones with AC
60G's, and a manual button. I go for 12 seconds when its warm, and 15-18
when its cold out, starts right up now with the new pump.

Hope that helps.

Caleb