Re: Registering elsewhere

From: Everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 23:52:35 PST

to take this a step further, law is a little vague on the typical homeowner
with lawnmower trailer and fellow like me that has a 4 wheel auto hauling
trailer - I have one that has no tags at all, and have pulled it a lot,
seems that Tennessee does not require residents that use this type trailer
in non-commercial hauling to have tags of any kind... at least I have never
been stopped for tag violations and have used it for some 10 years to haul
my jeep to shows (I am too big to fit behind steering wheel to drive it very
far), I have another similar trailer that I use to haul customer purchases
to them, I purchased tags for it...and had to pay sales tax on it, which I
had paid to dealer when I purchased trailer new. made no difference to state
of Tennessee they collected sales tax when I purchased tags.-- gets even
sillier -- did not get title when I purchased trailer new, got paid invoice
not a paper that you get when you purchase new auto "certificate of origin"
I think they are called. - and trailer did not have serial number, state
could not sell me tags on trailer without serial number, so to satisfy
requirements of law I made up serial number - used last 5 digits of my phone
number stamped into frame, took rubbing of them, got buddie of mine to sign
bill of sale that he sold me trailer for $200.00, I returned favor to him by
putting serial number on his trailer that is very similar to mine - used his
phone number and gave him bill of sale for $200.00, we went to clerks office
together and both got tags by paying sales tax on $200.00 plus title fees.

If I am going out of state I use trailer that has tags so as to avoid
possible hastle from other state officials - by the way I do not stop at
highway weight scales with either trailer...

Where there is a will there is a way......

Everette