Re: Volkswagen Type 183 Iltis

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 20:18:50 PST

These are great little 4X4s; Canada bought 2500 in 1984/5 by having them
built to Canadian specs by Bombardier in Valcourt, Quebec. Cost the taxpayer
$84K a copy. The basic running gear is Audi Quattro; engine is VW Rabbit.
They have been auctioning them off since last fall; prices are rising as the
supply diminishes, with the last Calgary auction realizing prices of 4 to
5K, plus the current record high price of $7750. I've averaged out all the
sale prices of the first 100 vehicles sold in the West, comes in at $2777.
Across Canada we are approaching the first thousand disposed of, which
includes cannibalized, scrap and range targets. We are surprised that the
Government actually allowed the sale of the Iltis, as initially they were
slated to follow the M151A2s that they replaced into scrap metal heaven.
They're fast, have good heaters, most parts are available from VW and
they're cheap on gas. Comfortable front bucket seats, 5 speed box and
locking diffs. I think they will be prized by collectors. Google search
under "Iltis" for more tech info.
Hope this helps,
Cheers!
Ian