REO trucks with high frequency motors driving the wheels -

From: Everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 19:32:12 PST

 anyone have information about this??

REO'S Military Contribution.
    During WW II REO built non-tactical vehicles. These could be seen at
military bases near and abroad. In addition 40 mm proximity fuses were built
for use in 40 mm anti-aircraft shells. After WW II, REO built tactical and
the give away trucks. The give-away truck was built on a lend lease basis.
Going to Turkey, Pakistan and other eastern countries. REO designed and
built the 6 cyl. engine for the tactical and non tactical vehicles.
Studebaker used to have to buy the engines from REO when they were awarded
the truck building contract.
    One of the interesting contracts from the milirary was, I believe 100
trucks, using high frequency motors driving the wheels. The 6 cyl. engine
turned a high frequency generator into a conveter and then to the high cycle
motors. One mounted on each wheel. The engine was very effiecient.

Everette

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me
light and strength.