Re: REO trucks with high frequency motors driving the wheels -

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 16 2006 - 07:41:24 PST

Interesting.

I gained an interest in REO when in the early 60's when my father gave
me a REO lawnmower (which was his fathers) to use any way I wanted. The
engine was rebuilt (with the help of my father) and powered a motor
bike and go cart - it output a healthy 1 3/4 hp through a 2:1 final
reduction drive. When my other grandfather died, I found out that he
too had a REO lawnmower and a REO cultivator (for garden work) stashed
in a shed. I now have both of those devices along with the engine that
I rebuilt back when I was a kid.

I find it interesting that my gandfathers both found REO products to be
of high value and certainly nothing that you would throw away lightly!

I went up to Lansing this last fall to pickup a power transformer and I
met the seller at a large warehouse on the south side of Lansing. I was
impressed the the warehouse's robust construction and asked the seller
about the history of the building. He told me that the warehouse used to
be an old REO warehouse and was built prior to WWII.

Dave