Re: Optima batteries

From: Sarge (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 06:41:57 PST

Dave, I can relate my personal experience with Optima batteries.
I have used one in my Jeep for the last ten years. I originally bought it
because of three reasons.
The first reason is that Optima advertising claimed that the batteries were
superior for the 'shake and rattle' of driving off-road. Something about
normal lead-acid batteries self-destructing under severe vibration.
The second reason was that they can be mounted in any orientation without
spillage.
The third reason was that our entire military fleet (300 vehicles) converted
to them to save money from constant replacement costs.
That is, with the exception of the vehicles requiring huge amperage.
I cannot testify about the technical claims, but I'm sure there are people
on this list who will be quite capable of backing up or refuting the
technical aspects of gel-cell technology.
I can testify to their maintenance free performance and to their longevity.
If an Optima costs twice as much but lasts 4 times longer, I think that it
makes good fiscal sense. Also, I do abuse my batteries. Long periods of
disuse, many jump starts of other vehicles, severe off-road beatings etc.
I am totally convinced that Optima red-tops are worth the price. Blue tops
and yellow tops (marine and deep cycle, not sure which is which) I cannot
talk about as I have owned neither.
I personally will stick with red-top Optima's in everything I own.
Do not expect miracles, the ampere rating is governed by the laws of
physics. You cannot use a 650 CCA battery in a 1300 CCA application. You use
two of them!
If you are using several batteries a year in your equipment, there is
another fix action you may be interested in.
A couple of years ago I was visiting a tactical unit in Oklahoma. They had a
400 vehicle fleet. They deployed on average 4 times a year. The rest of the
time, the vehicles sat idle. There annual battery costs were around $37,000
to replace dead batteries. They reduced the cost to $11,000 annually by
installing Solargizer battery maintenance systems. Even though their initial
cost was frightening, it was a one time cost and was offset in under two
years by the money savings in not buying replacement batteries. Save a
little now or a lot later. The government does not normally follow that
route, but it seems pretty sensible for you and me. You can read all about
Solargizer's at
http://www.pulsetech.com
Don't be alarmed at the prices, they are available much cheaper from other
sources, such as E-bay. A quick search shows me that there are 8 for sale
right now. I have used a Solargizer for two years on my M35A2 and it appears
to work as advertised.
-Sarge
(who owns no stock in Optima or Solargizer!)