Re: Optima batteries

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 18:34:49 PST

Wow, thanks to everyone for the responses!

The suggestion to use solargizers is probably a very good one. I have
gone to using cheap solar battery maintainers sold by Harbor Freight and
they really help but I really don't know if they are as good as the
Solargizers, I suspect not.

I think I bought about 10 batteries last year, so it gets to be a major
expense. I just have a lot of equipment that takes batteries. And it
is not used daily which is really hard on a battery.

But the problem I am having is this:

If I go the cheap route and buy $40 batteries from Sams or Walmart or
similar, they tend to be of fairly low performance (low CCA - regardles
of the actual rating) and I can get maybe two years out of it. If the
Optima's are good enough for a 3 year replacement warranty, then I am
already ahead since I can at least get a replacement after two years
even if it works only as well as the batteries I am buying now. So I
think I will pick one up and give it a shot.

Thanks,

Dave