Re: CAPITALS

From: Dan Maguire (dmaguire@mchsi.com)
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 13:01:05 PST

Hi Pat and all,

I agree with Pat's view on caps. To me it means yelling but, I used to
have a PDA-like thing that sent all caps text faxes - whether I was mad
or not. I've also watched my father poke along typing with two fingers
- completely oblivious to the fact that he is in all caps. I force
myself not to jump to conclusions.

Whether or not anyone thinks that Ron's Caps Manifesto was over the top,
to me there were two basic missteps in all of this...

1) His rant was a sniper shot, not a shotgun blast. A general
dissertation about the decline of western civilization due to all caps
postings would probably not have been taken harshly. But, Alex got a
shot straight to the jaw - and that always hurts.

2) The subject line should have been changed when folks decided not to
answer the question. Think about it... every day this person (kid or
not) gets replies with his subject heading thinking that *someone* might
actually answer his question, but instead he has to wade through a
seemingly unending barrage of indictments of spelling, ebonics, etc.
Even Jim Wiehe's cool little "gofeod up sepllnig" thing would probably
not be funny as part of a salvo like that.

At the core of it all, Alex did the right thing - he asked an actual
question about an actual military vehicle. We can probably all remember
weeks where it didn't seem like that was ever going to happen.

Anyhow, I hope that everyone is having a good day!

BR,
Dan

Auburn, IN