Re: OT - help needed in Iraq

From: Marty Galyean (marty@heavyreckoning.com)
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 10:49:06 PST

Jack Lee wrote:

> Hey guys, would like to support a very important military group
> serving in one of the most dangerous regions of Iraq?
>
> They would like to give away little things to Iraqi kids that would be
> appropriate for ages 4 through 15. Small light things like crayons,
> safe non-war toys, coloring books, candy and snack items. They need
> your help to do this because this is their idea (the enlisted guys),
> and its done for no other reason than to be kind to the kids caught up
> in the war. (I bet the soldiers would like some goodies too, but they
> didn't ask for anything for themselves).
>
> You won't be given any identifying information except, a name and
> military type address (APO). If you are new to this list I'm sorry
> ,but I won't provide their address and I hope you can understand why,
> its nothing personal, just a matter of security.
>
> Packages from outside the USA will not be accepted, as the mail
> outside the U.S. is not subject to the same security controls.
>
> So anyone willing to help? Contact me off list, as this request is
> the last I will be posting.

 From what I gather, if you do want to send something to the soldiers,
the most requested items that they don't receive (because it doesn't
occur to many people) are quality small 'tactical' bright flashlights
and batteries, like Surefires, pop-up unscented wipes (sponge bath in a
box!), portable small paperback books, and any seemingly inconsequential
stuff that is better than government issue that they might be missing,
like a decent toothbrush, 'gatorade' style powder drink mix etc.

I probably have that list garbled with added and missing items, but that
was the gist.

Marty