Re: humvee not charging

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Tue Feb 07 2006 - 18:58:52 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scuba Steve" <me_scubasteve@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:37 PM
Subject: [MV] humvee not charging

> Hi List
> Just wondering if anyone can help. My humvee
> charging system isn't engaging. If I cross over the
> two posts on the top of the altenator then it will
> charge. I am wondering if anyone has any idea what is
> not working. Could it be the gauge not hooked up
> correctly? Any info would be appreciatted.

Measure with a voltmeter instead of relying on the dashboard one, and meter
the voltage at the output of the alternator and again at the batteries.
Should be around 27-28V at fast idle. Check all the grounds too. I had one
HMMWV here at work where this fellow's friend kept setting the alternator
output up and up and up to compensate for a 'not charging' issue, when in
fact the engine wasn't grounded all along. I ran a jumper cable just
temporarily between the alternator bracket and the body to demonstrate to
the owner, and the alternator "suddenly started working" (and too high,
thanks to this fellow's friend and his prior adjustments.)

Also on the HMMWV the alternator output/main lead runs through the PCB
before reaching the batteries, and I've had high resistance and intermittent
contact there too. You can test the basic connection by putting a test
light between ground and the main (thick) wire coming off the back of the
alternator and seeing whether the test light goes on and off with the 'ON'
switch. If it doesn't, the PCB is probably pooched. I've had a lot of bad
PCBs.