Re: Darkening Gillespie paint?

From: Paul Vandervort (pgv@mydb3.com)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 11:07:29 PST

Alan

        You will have to use a synthetic enamel to mix with it unless you take
it to a automotive paint supplier and have them add some tint base to it
that is compatible with it.

        Synthetic enamels are the same as the old DuPont DuLux enamels. The
Gillespie is not the same as the current day DuPont Centari and if you
try and mix the two it will curdle on ya (I don't know what the old vs
new Sherman Williams colors are named I only use DUPont. And no I do not
like the DuPont #24 NASCAR driver!! that will rile up a few).

        I would imagine you could also call Gillespie and see what they say.
You could also try going to a Tractor Supply Co (TSC) or Farm & Fleet
and see what their Tractor enamel paint is. I think it is the same as
the Gillespie and all you'd have to do is add in some black. One thing
I have learned about OD is that you will have to add in more black than
you'd think you would have to.

Hope that helps ya.

PauL vandervort
MVPA 437