Re: M1010 Questions

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 06:02:47 PST

Hi Rick and Welcome to the start of a terrible addiction.
    For a nice summation of the CUCV family and the problematic M1010's (and
M1028's) power system, check out this nice site by Neil Amrhein who was a
prolific contributor to the list a couple of years back.

http://www.toadmail.com/~cucvfan/

http://www.toadmail.com/~cucvfan/200AmpCharge.html

I'd recommend you save all the info and messages you come across on the CUCV
since a lot of sites you will come across are orphans and just exist due to
caches or inattention by service providers since the owners or originators
have moved on to other things.
    I have accumulated 147 messages from the list dealing with CUCV
'problems' since September 03 to present since searching the list archives
has gotten a little hit and miss. The M1010's power system is a pain in the
butt and several owners have just changed the alternator system over to the
one in the M1008/M1009 for simplicity and dependability. The M1010's 200 AMP
system was required to feed the NBC air filtration system that provided
filtered and heated air to 6/7 masks for patients and crew and the M1028
used the same system to provide power to the S250 Comm. shelter it carried.
    My M1010 lives on life support (battery chargers) since it's battery
system will rarely hold a charge more than a week unless you disconnect the
battery circuit with a master disconnect switch or pulling the ground cable
off. It has a DUVAC II system installed to replace the original DUVAC unit
that GM selected to do the job. When I have used it for a Comm. Vehicle at
air shows or SAR missions in support of Civil Air Patrol, I use a EX2000
Honda generator to provide power to the comm. gear and a battery charger and
don't worry about the goofy power system. I do carry a pair of jumper packs
and jumper cables, just to be on the safe side. It is usable as a parade
vehicle, but the kids don't like it since the view is minimal back there and
car sickness a problem. Great rally vehicle with the sleeping and
lighting/heating arrangements in back, just make sure you bring the Honda
and the 24VDC battery charger to keep the batteries full.

    You might find some M1010 or M1028 owners here also:

    Good Luck in your search!
    Ronzo