M35, what next for longer bed?

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 18:04:52 PST

I'm looking at possibilities and suggestions for maybe a somewhat
larger/longer truck. I would like to mount my S-280 shelter on the bed
(M-35 has tie downs, not sure what other trucks may have) and more
importantly, I need to fit a 10KW diesel generator set in the bed too,
preferrably right in front of the shelter in the bed, just behind the cab.
The shelter's the typical 12' long.. I suppose the generator set could
mount sideways and would take about 3 FT of bed space. for clearances and
such. Shelter weighs in at about 6000 lbs, genset probably 800-1000 for a
quiet civvy model. On a sufficiently large truck, weight would not be the
issue, but I do have some storage limits, nothing larger than a 5 ton for
instance.

I could be talked into giving up my M35 and air conditioned shelter for an
expansible van but I have not seen one with a generator built in. The
shelter is a special model and extensively wired (dual 120V 3 ph +
28V/100A, huge power panel, and outlets everywhere) from the factory, it
would take alot of effort to duplicate the setup in a typical S-280 or van.

Trailering a genset is not a good option because I already have a trailer I
use for carrying other necessary equipment. With the shelter on the M35,
and trailer in tow, it's s-l-o-w...

Anyway, any thoughts on how to achieve diesel-generated electricity and
have a decent sized shelter that'll move at 55MPH and not bog down on hills?

Thats the goal.