Re: Soothing HMV angst

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 07:47:52 PST

Well, I am aware that we history-minded types regularly assume that folks still recognize our vehicles for what they actually are, when in fact many folks now approach (by way of an example) a WWII US half-track and not only are they unable to identify it, they don't even know who's side it fought for! I know this sounds strange but it's true. Just spend a little time displaying your MV on the fringes, (unlike museums and living history events where the already history-minded tend to congregate) and you will hear young fathers proudly telling their young sons that what they're looking at is a (insert any incredibly stupid thing here). So, for the benefit of the uneducated or misinformed we curators of privately owned historical MVs have to start doing a better job when presenting our vehicles to the public. Otherwise, some numbskull is likely to lump us in with some of the kooky militia nut-jobs we read about in the news. And perception is reality, brother.

The MVPA owes this kind of thing to the membership. We all know how to display our vehicles, but we often times just don't make the extra effort. I'm as guilty as the next guy but I also know that quality in displays doesn't necessarily equate to quantity. Displays can be economical or extreme but MV's MUST be viewed in context. If one goes to a museum, one already has an appreciation for history. But our privately owned vehicles are rarely displayed in that arena, making it all the more important for us to offer and show the historical perspective of our vehicles. The public is paranoid right now; frightened of absolutely EVERYTHING! Display your armored vehicle without a historical context, they are as likely to come away from looking at a privately owned half-track thinking, WOW, there's a lot of heavily armed and armored kooks out there and we have to disarm and disarmor them for our own safety!...regardless of how well you explain yourself. And I think we all know how kooky we can look at times
. This is where being dressed in MVPA clothing is the tie-breaker. It gives us, as individuals, credibility.

Yeh, MVPA should agree upon and offer up some simple display guidelines. For example, I have a guideline for our parade expeditions. It involves vehicle-mounted weapons. And it goes something like this. Display your vehicle mounted weapon (covered or uncovered) in a stowed position (i.e. limbered) facing directly forward or rearward but in no case shall it be pointed toward the crowds along the route. Further, we do not handle these weapons in any way. Do not touch or lean on the weapons.

TJ

From: "Darrell Ramsell" <daram@comcast.net>