Re: Soothing HMV angst

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 08:05:55 PST

There are a couple issues here and I will ruffle some feathers:

It IS probably easier to display a WW2 vehicle because if you wear
appropiate
clothing you are not looking like anything modern. Go dressed in camo or
desert
camo.... It might be better for later vehicle owners to dress in the 50's
one color
garb so that people will not associate you with militias or modern military
etc.

Visibility like some of the others have explained can help a lot. For
example, I go
to my local cruise night (5 miles away) almost every Tuesday in the summer
bringing
one or two different HMVs every week. In a display you can get to talk to
people
and explain the hobby. I have two display sheets that I position between the
headlights
and the grill guard, one that explains HMV collecting and the other explains
that particular
vehicle.

Having wives and children around also helps when displaying.

Going to events that honor veterans; visits to veterans homes/hospitals.
Memorial Day
and Veterans Day events can be a good PR (for the hobby) action.

And yes, these communications probably get picked up at the NSA. So when I
talk
about my Bomb Truck and alarm goes off in VA until that verify that is ony
that icehole
in Pembroke NH....

Steve AKA Dr Deuce with 50,000+ miles driving a CCKW